Intro to Kid Cooking
About this course
Intro to Kid Cooking is an online cooking course that shares basic cooking tools, tips and instructions that makes cooking easier and fun for kids. Cooking lessons can be completed ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, and AT YOUR OWN PACE. This is an excellent learning tool that the whole family can enjoy.
Each lesson includes:
- A kids teaching kids instructional video that features basic cooking techniques, tools and tips shared by kids for kids.
- A hands-on activities that is great for parents and kids to complete together to practice and build on the techniques and tips learned in the video
- A kid-friendly recipe with step by step photos that allows your little chef to put their skills to work.
Topics covered includes:
- Lesson 1: Pots, Pans & Appliances This lesson covers basic cookware and appliances as well as tips on when to best use them. Plus, it starts with some great kitchen safety rules.
- Lesson 2: Basic Cooking Skills & Tools This lesson covers basic cooking tasks such as mixing, cutting, juicing, peeling & grating. Additionally, it provides suggestions on which tools to use to make these tasks easier for kids.
- Lesson 3: Tasting Food & The Four Basic Flavors Here, we give a quick lesson on taste buds & the 4 basic types of flavor (sweet, savory, salty, & bitter) as well as introduces a 5th taste: umami. It also explains the importance of tasting your food while cooking and gives some suggestions on how to fix some recipes based on the taste.
- Lesson 4: Herbs & Spices This lesson covers the differences between herbs and spices as well as shares how they can help improve the taste and flavor of your recipe. It also provides quick suggestions on which herbs to use for certain dishes.
- Lesson 5: Baking Basics Here, we introduce important tasks and skills to know when baking such as measuring, kneading, rolling and using cookie cutters. We also include a fun Baking Science Experiment as part of this lesson
- Lesson 6: Experimenting & Being Creative The final lesson encourages kids to experiment and be creative in the kitchen. Experimenting helps build problem solving and creative thinking skills. Here, we share with kids how to read a recipe and tips on how to get creative in changing up the recipe.
The lesson ends with a Graduation Challenge where kids will create their own recipe similar to popular cooking TV show challenges. Send us a video or photo of your final recipe to receive your "Step Stool Chef Academy Intro to Kid Graduation Certificate".