Sweet Potato & Apples are just meant to be together. Your kids will love this sweet & savory combo. Packed with nutrients and easy to make, this sweet potato and apple soup recipe will be a fall favorite in your home.
Happy Fall Y’all! Autumn is here and although it’s pretty warm outside, I’m in the mood for soup. My kids loved sweet potatoes as babies and it’s still a family favorite in our home. What better way to welcome the season than with rich flavors and textures of Sweet Potato and Apple Soup.
We visited our local farmer’s market to find fresh apples and sweet potatoes. The kids had a great time trying the fruit and veggie samples as well as meeting the local farmers. The local produce was bright and beautiful and intrigued the kids about different fruit and veggie varieties. This curiosity sparked our fun Apple Taste Test the kids participated in over the weekend.
To start the recipe, peel & cut sweet potatoes and apples in to small squares. Peeling the sweet potatoes are a great tasks for kids while cutting the raw sweet potatoes was a challenge for my little chef’s small hands.
We left the peel on the apples for all the great nutrients that it adds. Next place the apples and sweet potatoes in a slow cooker along with 3 cups of broth, 1 cup of apple cider, cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon juice and sage then set the slow cooker on low for about 5-6 hours.
After the sweet potatoes and apples are cooked, the aroma will make you want to start eating right away but to make the soup use a hand immersion blender and mix the ingredients right in the slow cooker. If you don’t have a hand blender then a you can make batches of soup in a counter top blender. Add salt & pepper to taste and enjoy!
- 3 medium – sweet potato
- 3 medium – apple
- 3 cup – chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup – apple cider
- 2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon – brown sugar
- 1 medium – lemon
- 1 tablespoon – sage, leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon – salt
- tablespoon – black pepper, ground
- Cube sweet potatoes and apples and place them in a slow cooker.
- Add chicken stock, apple cider, cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon juice and sage. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Use a hand immersion blender and mix the ingredients in the slow cooker until creamy. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- We used a chicken stock but feel free to use a vegetable broth instead for a vegan option.