The chef and I found this fun little recipe in the cutest cookbook for kids, Fix It and Forget It. The book features recipes that kid friendly meals that can be prepared in a slow cooker. I really enjoyed watching my little chef prepare this meal because he needed little help from me. Here we did not deviate much from the recipe in the book except for the turkey pepperoni… Oh and my little chef wanted to use wagon wheel pasta instead of elbow macaroni because the wagon wheels are in the shape of mini pizzas.
Then took the chunks of veggies and place them in an electric chopper. This was really helpful for my little chef to dice the veggies more on his own. I just plugged it up, showed him how to use it and let him go…
The rest of the recipe was pretty easy. Just pour all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Take a look….
My favorite part of having my little chef cook with a slow cooker is that it is as easy as pushing a button. Now the recipe calls for you to cook the mixture for 5-6 hours. However our recipe was done closer to 3-4 hours.
- 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- 26 oz jar marinara sauce
- 4 oz turkey pepperoni
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chop onions and bell peppers.
- Add the veggies plus the rest of the ingredients except the cheese into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker. Cook the pasta mixture for 3-4 hours. (Timing may vary depending on the slow cooker)
- Carefully spoon the hot pasta mixture into the bowls. Then sprinkle each bowl with mozzarella cheese.