For our Guest Sous Chef Series, we invited real chefs to join The Step Stool Chef in the kitchen and share their favorite kid-friendly recipes. Today, we are excited to have Chef Sevilla Riley, Owner of Sevilla’s Savory Solutions. Chef Sevilla is a highly sought after personal chef and offers in-home catering, dinner parties and cooking classes. As our special guest, she shared one of her favorite recipes from her time teaching at a Cooking Summer Camp at the YMCA… Taco Buddies, a fun twist on a family favorite.
The ingredients for Taco Buddies included everything you would expect from a Taco recipe: ground meat (we chose ground turkey), taco seasoning, shredded lettuce & cheese, tomatoes, salsa and olives. But instead of taco shells, this recipe calls for refrigerated buttermilk biscuits!
There was extra space left in the muffin pan and more ground meet, so we decided to add a little twist to the recipe. Using a cookie cutter, the chef cut out small circles of tortilla bread to make a home make taco bowl.
While the taco buddies are in the oven dice the tomato.
SOUS CHEF MOMMY TIP: Chef Sevilla shared an important safety tip when cutting ingredients: To protect your fingers from getting cut, hold the ingredient like a claw with your fingers away from the knife.
The Step Stool Chef and Chef Sevilla then used the extra ingredients to top the tacos. You can even decorate each taco buds with hair, eyes, and mouth using the lettuce, olives and tomatoes. Serve with picante sauce and enjoy!
A super huge thank you to Chef Sevilla of Sevilla’s Savory Solution for joining us as our Special Guest Sous Chef. This recipe was so much fun and easy to make. Plus we just love cooking anything in a muffin tin!
- 1 pound of Ground Turkey
- 1 1/4 ounces of taco seasoning mix
- 1 can of buttermilk biscuit, refrigerated
- 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of lettuce, shredded
- 2 1/4 oz of black olives, shredded
- 1 large Roma tomato, diced
- 1 ounce of picante salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown ground turkey in skillet on medium high heat. Add the taco seasoning mix and water to the meat according to the package instructions.
- Open the can of biscuits then separate and press one biscuit in each muffin cup. Shape the biscuit to the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
- Fill each cup with seasoned cooked meat then place in the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While tacos are baking, dice the Roma tomato and put the remaining ingredients in separate bowls.
- Remove the tacos from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack.
- Add your toppings as desired and have fun decorating. Serve with picante sauce and enjoy