A fun little recipe inspired by my mom’s meatloaf recipe. We just did a cute little twist and place it in a muffin pan and added mashed potatoes as the “icing on top”. Enjoy!
For this recipe, you will need bell pepper, onions and garlic. Cut the veggies in small cubes. This is a good time to help your little chef learn how to use a knife safely. We use a plastic knife that is designed for little hands, but any plastic knife would work great.
Sous Chef Mommies, you may have to cut the veggies as prep work to help your little chef. You can also place in a food processor to save time. Another time saver is to pre cut veggies and freeze them for later use.
Next, sauté the veggies with olive oil over medium heat.
In a large mixing bowl, add your sautéed veggies to ground turkey meat.
Then add chicken broth, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce and salt & pepper
Then add egg.
Mix the meat mixture with your hands until all the ingredients are combined thoroughly. This is tons of fun for little chefs but don’t forget to wash your hands afterwards. One important rule in our kitchen is simple as ABC: Always Be Cleaning
Another fun part of the recipe is to use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups with the meat mixture.
Place in oven at 375 for 25-30 minutes
Don’t forget your ABCs (Always Be Cleaning)!
While the muffins are cooking, our little chef made the mashed potato topping. For this part, we used a Ore-Ida Steam n’ Mash® Cut Russet Potatoes and followed the instructions on the bag.
Take the muffins out of the oven and let cool
Place the cooked mashed potatoes in a plastic zipper storage bag. Cut a small slit in the corner of the bag. Then squeeze the mashed potatoes through the small hole in the zipper bag and top the muffins like you would pipe icing on a cupcake.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- ¼ cup of minced garlic
- 2 pounds extra lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place 12 cupcake baking cups in muffin tins and set aside.
- Sauté chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic with olive oil until onion appear transparent in color. Place the vegetables into a bowl, and mix in ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock and salt & pepper until thoroughly combined. Fill each prepared muffin cup.
- Bake in the preheated oven until juices run clear, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.